Southern Pacific(TM) #6660 (gray, red, white)
Walthers Part # 920-42160
Make one of EMD's most popular roadswitcher models part of your diesel fleet in minutes with the WalthersProto(R) GP35 Phase II!
Making its debut in 1963, the new engine would pave the way for future generations of hood units. Offering 2500 horsepower and a number of innovative new features, many were purchased as replacements for elderly diesels, and since EMD took trade-ins, some were constructed with rebuilt parts, notably trucks, from other builders! Along with these variations, modelers and railfans noted other changes made during the production run, and began referring to early examples as Phase I (also knwon as Phase 1) while those built after mid-1965 became Phase II (also known as Phase 2); EMD however considered them all the same and never used these designations. By the time production ended in 1966, over 1300 were in service, and many are still running on shortlines and at museums today.
Check out the many features of WalthersProto Phase II GP35s:
- Limited edition - one-time run of these engine numbers!
- Based on Phase II units in service from 1965 to the present
- Road-specific details
- Available with SoundTraxx(R) Tsunami(R) sound for DCC and DC layouts
- Five-pole, skew-wound, high-torque, high-efficiency can motor
- Helical gears with 14:1 ratio for smooth, ultra-quiet running
- Easy multiple-unit operation
- Proto MAX(TM) metal knuckle couplers
Based on units in service from 1968 renumbering to January 1984 retirement with:
- Leslie RSL-3L-R air horn
- High headlight
- Firecracker antenna
- Standard dynamic brake hatch
- Raised numberboards on sides of dynamic brake hatch
- 8 jack pads
- 3000-gallon fuel tank
- Front plow
- Short air filter/dryer
- Standard Blomberg B trucks with outside brake shoes