Following the overwhelming success of the GMD SW1200RS model, Rapido Trains is pleased to announce the EMD SW1200 in HO scale. General Motors Diesel (GMD) began production of the first example of the 1,200-hp SW1200 switcher model in January 1954. Built through until May 1966, over 700 examples of this versatile road switcher were built by EMD with an additional 280+ built by GMD in Canada.
As dieselization progressed, many roads found themselves in need of a compact, lightweight locomotive to replace steam power on branch lines and other over-the-road assignments (freight and passenger) not requiring a full-fledged mainline road switcher. The SW1200 combined the right size and muscle for these assignments. The SW1200 was available with both Type A and Flexicoil trucks, and the Rapido model represents those options. Other features available on the SW1200 include different fuel tanks, unique spark arrestors, MU cables, folding end-platform drop steps and different lighting options as specific to each road.
The HO Scale Rapido SW1200 features
- Designed from original blueprints and field measurements
- Heavy diecast frame, chassis and gearboxes for superior pulling power
- Rapido’s renowned smooth-running drive system
- Working number boards and classification lights
- Fully detailed Type A or Flexicoil trucks, as appropriate
- Full cab interior with working cab interior light and non-working fire extinguisher and fridge (where appropriate)
- Working headlights, inspection lights and illuminated number boards
- Separate handrails, including crash bars inside the cab
- Multiple exhaust stack and battery box door styles
- With or without working drop steps, as appropriate
- Incredible underbody piping and conduit detail - a Rapido hallmark
- DC/Silent or DC/DCC/Sound versions featuring an ESU Loksound decoder with accurate recordings from a 567 prime mover
- Sound models feature an updated high-fidelity MP3 quality speaker