With over 220 units produced by EMD between July 1958 and March 1963, the SD-24 locomotive generated a total of
2,400 hp with its turbocharged 567D-3 prime mover and C-C wheel arrangement. The majority of SD-24s produced were purchased by four roads: Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Santa Fe, Southern, and Union Pacific. Atlas’ HO scale model features details unique to each road name:
Burlington (CB&Q): High nose, single-chime air horn on short hood, Gyra-light on short hood (non-operating), winterization hatch
Santa Fe: Low nose, 3-chime horn mounted on left side of hood behind cab
Southern: High nose, 5-chime horn mounted on cab, bell detail on short hood
Union Pacific: Low nose, 3-chime horn mounted between 2nd and 3rd radiator fans, winterization hatch
Guilford 615, 643 & MAERSK (ATSF): equipped with ditch lights
Atlas Master Series Gold Features:
• ESU LokSound decoder, supporting all DCC programming modes.
• Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F31.
• Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
• Lighting effects to match the prototype, including Gyralight and Mars light where appropriate.
• Over 20 sound effects are available, including engine start-up and shutdown, prime mover sounds through all eight notches, bell, air horn, air
compressor, dynamic brakes and more.
MASTER MODEL FEATURES:
• Separately-applied roof piping detail
• Golden-white LEDs
• Realistic die-cast underframe
• Now with Metal knuckle couplers
• Piping on trucks, MU and Air Line Hoses
• Highly detailed coupler cut bars
• Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
• Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds